Tuesday, November 19, 2013

In Emergency Push to Open



Yesterday I went to the grocery store, and as I walked out, I noticed that the large electric sliding doors had a notice on them: "In Emergency Push to Open".

 We have all seen such notices on similar doors, and I bet no one ever thinks twice about it. 

But it seems to me that this is one more example of our Bizarro World, where things are done backwards. 

Having to push open big doors is the last thing a person should have to do in an emergency. 

In fact, it wouldn't hurt anyone to push doors open during all the non-emergency times, the way we all used to do before electric everything replaced manual everything. 

In an emergency, doors should just fall open,  and stay that way. 

If you are trying to get away from a fire or a chimpanzee on the loose, you shouldn't have to stop and push doors open.

No comments:

Post a Comment